You are not connected to the Butte College Library network. Access to online content and services may require you to authenticate with your library. Off-campus Access
Getting this item's online copy...
Find a copy in the library
Getting this item's location and availability...
Find it in libraries globally
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
New York : Scribner, ©2005
|Named Person:||Jeannette Walls; Jeannette Walls|
|Material Type:||Biography, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||0743247531 9780743247535 0739458213 9780739458211|
|Notes:||Butte College Library notes:
READING LEVEL 4.
|Description:||288 pages ; 24 cm|
|Local System Bib Number:||
Journalist Walls grew up with parents whose ideals and stubborn nonconformity were their curse and their salvation. Rex and Rose Mary and their four children lived like nomads, moving among Southwest desert towns, camping in the mountains. Rex was a charismatic, brilliant man who, when sober, captured his children's imagination, teaching them how to embrace life fearlessly. Rose Mary painted and wrote and couldn't stand the responsibility of providing for her family. When the money ran out, the Walls retreated to the dismal West Virginia mining town Rex had tried to escape. As the dysfunction escalated, the children had to fend for themselves, supporting one another as they found the resources and will to leave home. Yet Walls describes her parents with deep affection in this tale of unconditional love in a family that, despite its profound flaws, gave her the fiery determination to carve out a successful life.--From publisher description.
Retrieving notes about this item
- Children of alcoholics -- United States -- Biography.
- Children of alcoholics -- West Virginia -- Welch -- Biography.
- Dysfunctional families -- United States -- Case studies.
- Dysfunctional families -- West Virginia -- Welch -- Case studies.
- Poor -- West Virginia -- Welch -- Biography.
- Homeless persons -- Family relationships -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Walls, Jeannette.
- Problem families -- United States -- Case studies.
- Problem families -- West Virginia -- Welch -- Case studies.
- Homeless persons -- New York (State) -- New York -- Family relationships.
User lists with this item (48)
- Things I Recommend(130 items)
by mad7976 updated about a month ago
- Things to Check Out(134 items)
by pajamaangel updated about a month ago
- CDEC 1359 Children with Special Needs Biographies(95 items)
by SPCReeseCenterLibrary updated 2014-10-22
- RCL Kindle(18 items)
by slafferty updated 2014-08-21
- CDEC 1359 Children with Special Needs Biographies(82 items)
by tpineda1 updated 2014-03-11